Abandoned 1760 Captain John Hulbert House Brought Back to Life (PHOTOS)

A once-dilapidated historic property located on Union Street in Sag Harbor has been brought back to life via the painstaking efforts of a restoration and repair project that spanned multiple years. The home of Revolutionary War soldier Captain John Hulbert, who built the house in 1760 for his family, was known as the Captain John Hulbert House. In 1773, the Americans were successful in retaking Fort Ticonderoga from the British under the leadership of Captain Hulbert and his militia.

Betsy Ross’s version of the American flag, which was sewed the next year, is thought to have been influenced by the initial prototype of the American flag, which was rumored to have been designed by Hulbert so that he could command his men. Breskin Development was responsible for the full restoration and renovation of the property before it was put up for sale in 2017 for a price of $2.5 million.

According to a report that was published in the East Hampton Star in April of 2016, “The house that was formerly owned by the Morpurgo sisters is located at 6 Union Street in Sag Harbor. In the past year, it has fallen into fatal disrepair, leading Tom Preiato, the village building inspector, to recommend that it be razed.” In 2007, it was reported that the residence had neither heat nor running water for a significant amount of time, and the community had deemed it unfit for human occupancy.

The 6,000 square foot home, which has since undergone extensive restoration and renovation, was most recently listed for sale for $5.9 million. Simply click here to view each and every interior photograph! Jason Crowley and Dana Shaw are responsible for the photography. The home is not currently on the market for sale because it has not been listed.

Read More