In 1860 Feltville became known as the “Deserted Village. Today Feltville Ghost Town consists of eight homes, a combination general store and church building.

Founded in 1845, this ten-building settlement was named Feltville after New York merchant David Felt, another mill owner seeking for cheaper real estate outside of New York. Felt sold the property in the 1860s, and after numerous failed business attempts failed to revitalize the hamlet, Feltville was dubbed the “Deserted Village.” The land was given new life in 1882 when Warren Ackerman purchased it, rebuilt it, and converted it into Glenside Park, a summer resort. However, this venture was short-lived, and the location was once again abandoned.

Unfortunately, as mountain resorts fell out of favor as the Jersey Shore grew in prominence, the resort closed in 1916. This tract was integrated into the Watchung Reservation, one of America’s earliest county parks, soon after the Union County Park System was founded in 1921. Feltville Ghost Town was added to the State and National Registers of Historic Places in 1980. Feltville Ghost Town now consists of eight houses and a general store/church structure. Several of the original structures still survive, and the small village is a favorite tourist destination for those interested in New Jersey history.

Read More