Abandoned Hořín Chateau | History of this place its stunning.

The Rococo Hon Château is located at Mlnk, near the junction of the Vltava and Elbe rivers. Formerly a hunting lodge, it is located in the village of Hon and was created by the architect G. B. Alliprandi at the request of Count Jakub earn around the end of the 17th century. The paintings were created by F. M. Schiffer and his brother Antonn. Around 1701 a riding hall and stables were erected to the château.

The chateau is one of the best preserved structures, combining Late Baroque and Early Rococo characteristics.

The château is presently closed to the public.

The hunting lodge was insufficient for another owner, Frantiek Josef inn, who had a Baroque chateau erected in its stead in 1713-1720 according to the design of F. M. Kaka.

Many times, the castle was restored and enlarged. In 1760-1763, Carlo Giuseppe Bossi adorned two so-called “Stone Rooms” on the chateau’s ground floor with asymmetrical stucco. The latest structural improvements were made towards the end of the 18th century when a modest tympanum was constructed on the garden front and an interior stairway was restored.

Interesting facts Hořín

Count Heman Jakub ernn originally constructed a hunting lodge in Hon. Giovanni Battista Alliprandi created the design whichwhich was structurally planned in the Baroque style and embellished with paintings by F. M. Schiffer.

The next owner of the chateau in Hon, Frantiek Josef ernn, was more demanding of his living conditions, and the present hunting lodge did not suit them. As a result, he had the chateau restored into a typical Baroque home, based on a design by Frantiek Maxmilián Kaka. Between 1713 and 1720, this renovation took place.

After the death of Frantiek Josef ernn, his widow Marie Isabela married his brother Frantiek Antonn. Unfortunately, the original edifice did not fit him either, thus the Hon château underwent additional architectural alterations, including extension. Frantiek Antonn died in 1739, during the rebuilding period. But, in his will, he ordered that the castle’s building work must be finished according to the original design, and he specifically mentioned the castle chapel of St. Jan Nepomuck. Jan Christian Spannbrucker, the architect of the renovation, died in 1742, thus he did not live to see it completed.

Nevertheless, the construction work was only temporarily halted, and it was restarted in 1744. The finished rebuilding of the Hon chateau became the dowry of Marie Ludmila, daughter of Frantiek Antonn ernn and Marie Isabela, and bride of Prince August Antonn of Lobkovice. Before 1948, the castle in the Hon family belonged to the Lobkovices.

Additional structural changes at the Chateau de Hon occurred around the end of the 18th century, although they were unimportant to the overall aspect of the chateau, which blends Baroque and Rococo characteristics. The nearby “Stone Rooms” is one of Bohemia’s most mature Rococo venues.

The existing status of the chateau in Hon does not match the standards for it to be available to the public. Hardly any none of the original castle furnishings has remained to this day, although the facade and castle park are well worth seeing.

Author: Andrea Štyndlová


Towards the end of the 17th century, the ernn family had a Hunting Castle erected according to G. B. Alliprandi’s design at the area where the court of the Czech queens formerly stood, documented in 1319. In 1713? It was rebuilt in 1720 by a castle constructed by F. M. Kaka. In 1736, J. K. Spannbrucker built a castle? In 1746, he renovated it in the Rococo style to suit the tastes of the period. To the main residence structure, Spannbrucker erected pavilions with apartments, a chapel, and outbuildings, the center of which is the earlier Medieval castle, which encompassed the lengthy octagonal castle courtyard. Work on internal decorating continued until 1763.

Around this period, the Lobkovics acquired ownership of the still-unfinished castle.

Read More